Meeting new friends is a big adventure. Sometimes it’s hard for kids to know where to start. Conducting a mock interview can be a good way to model small talk and get-to-know-you questions. It’s best to start together with your child and interview someone together for the first time. Find a neighbor, a grocery clerk, a local pet walker, or anyone else you think might become a touchstone in your new community and help your child hold an interview to find out more about them. Here are some questions you could ask:
1. What is your name?
2. Where were you born?
3. Do you have brothers or sisters?
4. Do you have pets? Real or imaginary…
5. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
6. When is your birthday, and what is your favorite cake flavor?
7. If you were a super hero, what kind of power would you have?
8. Tell me a funny story about yourself or someone you know.
9. Do you have a favorite game? What is it and who do you like to play it with?
10. If you could be in a movie, which movie would it be?